Monday 6 December 2010

Music Magazine - Post-Production

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
I think that this magazine front cover is very different to the ones in the same genre, as jazz magazines are quite rare to find and the fact that women are hardly ever on the front cover. Also, the front cover is different from most magazines both because of the picture on the cover and the typography. The picture is minimal and androgynous, which plays on jazz as a male dominated genre, but it also challenges the average conventions on magazines in general as the covers are colourful and bright in order to attract readers’ attention. However, I felt that if I did the opposite, it would be more likely to attract attention as people will find the simplicity and the minimalism interesting. Also, the simplistic nature of the cover is also sophisticated and smart, which is similar to jazz, and I felt that if the front cover and the genre corresponded, it would create more of a dynamic and interesting effect.
What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
I have learnt many things with the technicality that is incorporated in making a magazine, I have gotten more comfortable with using InDesign and Photoshop, and I think that I know my way around both programmes for future references. Also, I think that when working with my contents page and double-page spread I will be more comfortable with using the programmes. I have also learned how to control my layering when using InDesign, as this will enable me to work on my magazine without complications and difficulties. Another thing I have learned when it comes to technology is playing and experimenting with fonts and layouts, as I found my main challenge was to chose a font that I felt was most compatible with my front page. I did this by going on many different websites to look for fonts, and to take other magazines into consideration and use their lay outs as inspiration for my own.
Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
During the progression, I have learned and improved on many qualities such as the technicality behind composing a magazine, and also how to lay out and plan a magazine production. I think that my photographs have become much more intricate and were taken to correspond with my chosen musical genre and they were also of better quality, as I had time to use a better camera and to plan the shoot. I also became much more comfortable with using InDesign and Photoshop, as I felt that during the preliminary task, it was a little difficult to get used to all the short-cuts on the programmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment